Primary Programming Proficiency Requirements
Department of Computer Science & Information Engineering
National Dong Hwa University
Approved by the Departmental Curriculum Designing and Planning Committee on 2012.09.06
Approved by the Departmental Executive Committee on 2012.10.03
Apply to undergraduate students (including International Bachelor programs) admitted on/after the 2012 School year
Apply to graduate students (including International Graduate programs) admitted on/after the 2013 School year
Update title and wordings on 2015.05.18
New policies & regulation approved by the Departmental Executive Committee on 2020.07.02
New Policies & Regulations For CPE Certification Course (Starting from 2020 fall new enrollment) :
Every students can take the “CPE" (Collegiate Programming Examination) Test multiple times during his or her studies in the department. After taking a CPE Test, the student can register his or her test result to the department office within 4 years for the grade evaluation of a specific classes called “Programming Ability Certification" Course.
The course grade would be evaluated according to the maximum number of problems you solved in a single test. The grade mapping is listed below :
1. Grade A+ : solving more than five problems
2. Grade A : solving four problems
3. Grade B : solving three problems
4. Grade C : solving two problems
5. Grade D : solving one problems
6. Grade E : solving no problem or attending no test
Be aware that every student (including double-major students) in this department is required to take the course in order to acquire an assessed grade. However, the graduation will not be affected by the level of your grade. That is, if you didn’t attend the test, you could still graduate from school, only getting an “E" grade on your grade report instead.
Previous Policies & Regulations for Primary Programming Proficiency Certificate (For old students, you could pick between the old policies and the new one according to your needs) :
1. In order to ensure students’ abilities in programming proficiency, and to enhance competences of software development and implementation, this Article has been established as a graduation requirement for all CSIE graduate and undergraduate students.
2. Before graduation, each student is required to receive a PPP certificate by passing an on-site PPP test held each semester. The scope of the PPP test covers the comprehensive programming skills trained in the core courses including Introduction to Computer Programming (I) + (II), and Data Structures.
3. There is no limit on the number of PPP tests a student can take.
4. Students who want to take the PPP test must register in advance before the test. The test will be scheduled once in every semester. The registration procedures will be posted on the departmental website.
5. The PPP test will last three hours. Each participant should solve at least three problems to pass the test.
6. Students may take any of the following contests/exams as an alternative to the PPP test. Students must submit their official certificates of the contests/exams to be exempted from obtaining the PPP certification.
i. Receiving programming-related certificates approved by the PPP Certification Committee.
ii. Participating in the National Collegiate Programming Contest (NCPC) organized by the Minister Of Education (教育部舉辦全國大專電腦軟體設計競賽), ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest (ACM國際大學程式競賽), or other programming contests approved by the PPP Certification Committee, and receiving an award designation of “Excellent Work (佳作)" or better.
iii. Participating the Collegiate Programming Examination (CPE大學程式能力檢定), and receiving at least 2 or more correct answers in one exam or total 3 correct answers accumulatively.
7. This Regulation has been established by the Departmental Educational Core and Ability Evaluation Committee, approved by the Departmental Executive Meeting, and announced and executed afterwards. Any amendment should follow the same process accordingly.